Hunted

FAIIINT, Illustration, Illustrator, Hunted, Deer, Antlers, Horns, Arrows, Hunting, Girl, Fashion, Sad, Pain, Stabbed, Speared, Shot

I realised a few days ago that I haven’t posted an illustration in quite a while, so I thought it was time I finished off this one that has been sitting here half completed for a few weeks…

I’m really enjoying drawing things influenced by nature & folk tales at the moment, I’ve always been fascinated by both of those things but recently it seems to be spilling over into everything I do. I have also realised that my fashion education has given me a serious aversion to drawing clothes! After having drawn nothing but clothing on models for almost 6 years, I think I’m just totally fed up with it! Plus everything I do just seems so much cleaner & slicker without the extra fuss of clothing, so sorry if you’re bored of these nude/barely clothed illustrations, but I guess there will be quite a few more until I feel like drawing clothes again!

I’m not entirely happy with this piece & it will probably end up being changed around a little before I’m satisfied enough to say it’s done. I’m not really sure what it is, everyone I’ve shown it to has said it looks finished to them, but to me there’s something missing & I can’t quite put my finger on it. This is the main reason it’s been sitting unfinished, it just doesn’t seem like it is. If anything glaringly obvious stands out to you, or you have any (constructive!) criticism, I’d love it if you could leave a comment letting me know! It’s always great to hear from others about your work & especially if it’s something constructive. I often prefer when people tell me they don’t like my work & their reasons behind that, instead of just saying ‘Oh, it’s nice!’ or something similar. So don’t be afraid to say, even if it’s ‘I hate it’ (just let me know why!) …

Filed under: Illustration

1. Posted 20.06.2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

thanks for sharing this illustration. i really like it. it is funny that your fashion education has influenced your choices in your artistic artwork pieces as well. although i think nudes are always beautiful so i love this. i personally cannot find anything glaring, that feels unfinished … maybe though the fact that the girl is so “worked” but the arrows and moon remain very “unworked” there is a bit of an imbalance and that is what you are feeling? good luck, i suggest maybe putting it away for a week and not looking at it or thinking about it and coming back to it in a week and seeing how you feel.

xx rae

http://www.loveforschoolgirl.net/ <3

• FAIIINT
      Posted 21.06.2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I totally agree, nudes are so beautiful when done right. I’ve been looking through a lot of my classical art books recently, so I think that is influencing it a little too!
      Thanks for the advice & your honesty, really appreciate it! I agree, now that you’ve mentioned it the arrows do seem as though they were an afterthought & I think it is this imbalance that’s bothering me. I’m going to keep that in mind & come back to it next week & see if I still feel unhappy with it. If I do I shall have a play around with the arrows & make them a little more detailed! :)

2. Posted 20.06.2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

it’s gorgeous steph! if anything i would agree with rae that the arrows almost look like an afterthought.. i do especially like the curve where her hip is, and the way you’ve framed it!

• FAIIINT
      Posted 21.06.2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Thank you! :) Yeah, I agree too, I definitely think it’s the arrows now it’s been pointed out! Going to leave it for a week & come back to it & then possibly change them & make them a little more detailed :)

3. Posted 20.06.2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

It’s really beautiful, there’s a real sense of emotion. You’re so talented!

Becky | life.style.flash. x

p.s. Draw whatever YOU want to!

• FAIIINT
      Posted 21.06.2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! :) I always try & make sure everything I do is at least a little emotive, trying to scale it back a bit though as my love of comic books & drawing in that style has given me a rather bad habit of exaggerating every little emotion! Hah!

4. Posted 20.06.2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Hello – I’m a new visitor to your site, and I am loving it so far! :)
    Your illustration is very nice, and I like it a lot. I am not sure what could be missing from this, but for me personally, I am not entirely understanding the three arrows from her hip. I think it is an awesome concept, but I am not entirely sure of its purpose? I hope this makes sense, and this is just my personal opinion. I don’t draw or illustrate, so certain things just fly over my head. :)
    ~xixia
    visit my new blog?: thisisxixia.com

• FAIIINT
      Posted 21.06.2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Aw, thank you! :) The concept behind it was that shes a fawn/girl & that she’s being hunted & she has been shot at with the 3 arrows, this is why shes gasping in pain. But I wanted to keep it from being too gory, so I didn’t want to draw them actually stuck in her with blood .etc so it’s a slightly stylized version of this. Hope that helps! :)

5. Posted 20.06.2012 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

You are so talented! I wish I knew how to draw on illustrator/ photoshop. I do everything by hand and it doesn’t ever look this cool x
    M

6. Posted 28.06.2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

This is so beautifully done Steph! You can actually see the pain on her caused by the arrows which actually look great and symbolic of an invisible cause of pain or something. I like it even more as I’m a taurean and her horns make me relate to the illustration.